Graciosa Island, with its coastline associated with the existing islets, is a privileged location for seabird watching.
There are two Reserves on the island, the Praia Islet and the Baixo Islets, where a wide variety of seabirds nest, including the rare Monteiro’s Storm Petrel (Hydrobates monteiroi), a species endemic to the Azores.
On our trips to Bank of Fortune, we regularly see:
- Cory's Shearwater (Calonectris diomedea)
- Angelito (Oceanodroma castro)
- Strawtail (Phaethon aethereus)
- Common Tern (Sterna hirundo)
- Pink Tern (Sterna dougallii)
- Sooty Tern (Sterna fuscata)
During the trip there are many opportunities to observe some of the fascinating marine life of the Azores, such as dolphins and other cetaceans, sharks and turtles...